Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First e-mail from the MTC!


Ola minha Familia!                                                               September 3, 2013

I am having the best time in the MTC. I think my favorite part about it is my district. The elders and sisters that make up our district have such strong testimonies and such a strong desire to share the gospel with our Brothers and Sisters. I am so luck to have them as friends.

Learning the language has been a roller coaster. Pretty much as soon as I was dropped off, I was sitting in class trying to figure out what my teacher was saying in Portuguese. There is literally no english spoken when we have class. And guess what, that way works. I would say that I can understand about 60 to 70% of what is being said. I still struggle with speaking it, but that's only because I don't know the right words yet. I will know soon though:)

For practice, we have to teach investigators. our first lesson was on friday with an investigator named Ellison. Oh, and the entire lesson has to be in Portuguese because he doesn't speak English. I was nervous at first, but then I realized that it doesn't matter if I know the words or not. What matters is that I am able to bring the Spirit into the lesson. The first lesson was hard, and I totally stumbled over the words, but the next lesson was different. I decided to bear my testimony to Ellison instead of saying my planned lesson part. I don't know how much of an impact it had on him, but I felt like I was going to burn up the Spirit was so strong. I was a little embarrassed because I was totally bawling, but for the most part I don't regret it because it brought the Spirit. And it is through the Spirit that the Lord's children are converted unto him. 

That is another thing I love about the MTC. The Spirit here is like our third companion. He's with us everywhere we go and directs us to do the Lord's work. 

I have to go switch my laundry real fast and then I'll finish this letter:)

I love you so much!

Speaking of companions, I love mine. Her name is Sister Padilla and she is from California. She also just finished up her first year at BYU, so we have some stuff in common. She is also going to Piracicaba, so we'll probably see each other down there if our visas ever come:) It's kind of weird having a companion. Like, if I ever forget anything, I can't just run back and get it. I have to ask sister padilla to come along with me. The only times we can be apart is when we're in our residence building, the bathroom, or in gym. Other than that, we're bffs. I don't mind it at all, it's just weird. 

I love being a missionary. Just once did I wonder if it was the right choice for me (I was tired and it had been a super long day), but the next day I was almost overwhelmed with the Spirit testifying to me that this is the right path for me. I know that there are people, my brothers and sisters, waiting for me to bring them the love and truth this gospel has. I love this gospel and I love my Savior. Without him, nothing is possible. But with Him, all things are possible.

Eu se que a igreja de Jesus Cristo e verdadiero, Eu se que meu Pai Celestial e meu Salvado amao me. Digo esta coisas em o nome de Jesus Cristo, amem. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Sweet granddaughter. Grandpa and I returned today from a week at Disney World. We are exhausted. I have blisters and grandpa has a very sore knee. We had a blast. According to your uncle Andy, we had lots of native Brazilians around us speaking Pork-a-gees. They certainly are a beautiful people. I hope that yiou are doing well and learning a lot. I bet the time is just whizzing by. I think of you a lot, even did in Mickey Mouse land. What you are doing is wonderful. Keep up the good work. Love you, MiMi

    ReplyDelete