Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

Senior Companion in Poco de Caldas!


February 10, 2014 From Lauren

 

Let´s talk about all the stuff that´s happened this past week. Oh my gosh, what a ride.

Well, after emailing last week we went to wal-mart to buy food and then headed home for lunch. We were going to get our hairs cut after lunch, but I got a phone call from one of the assistants. I about died because he told me that I was being emergency transferred to the edge of the Mission, Poços de Caldas, to finish training the new sister there. Her original trainer just finished her mission, so they needed someone else to finish her training. 

So yeah, after that phone call I kind of freaked out a little bit. But about 15 minutes later I was all good. Now, I´m even better :) I love serving in Poços! It is so beautiful here and it´s not as hot. Double Win!

Anyway, I spent the rest of the P-day packing up my stuff to head to Poços. That night we had a FHE with a bunch of members and Fabio. We got to play a bunch of hymns together one last time too (of course, Nearer my God to Thee). It was pretty hard to say goodbye to all the members and Fabio, but I kept it together.

The plan was that I was going to leave on Tuesday, but the sisters from Poços missed their bus, so I ended up leaving Piracicaba on Thursday (it´s like 6 hours by bus to get here, not my favorite). I was totally ok with this though because I got to say goodbye to David. Now that was hard. I was totally doing great too until he asked me to say the prayer. Then I just lost it (in a good sort of way, not a crazy way). Teaching him has been the best part of my mission. To see someone so prepared for the gospel and then to get to teach it was seriously the best thing. Before I left, he bore his testimony of the Book of Mormon and how it changed his life. Words cannot describe how happy I was in that moment. Missionary work is the greatest!

So now I´m in Poços de Caldas:) I love it here! The weather is much better and our area is pretty dang great. Plus, Sister C. Silva, my new companion, is fantastic :) It´s kind of weird being the senior companion and training. I just barely finished my Portuguese round of training 2 weeks ago and now I´m a trainer. Good thing I kind of know what I´m doing. 

The people here are a lot more well off, so we´ve kind of struggled to find people to teach. We´ve knocked doors every day this week, but with little luck. But, this past Sunday, a recent convert gave a us a list of 9 people he wants us to go teach. I am so excited! It is the best when members give references because they usually work out. WOOT! I will keep you update :)

So, overall, I´m enjoying my new part of Brasil with my new companion. The cool thing about serving a mission is that I know 100% that this is the area where I am supposed to be. These are the people I need to teach and though me, hear what their Heavenly Father has to say. It is so awesome!

I love you all and I hope that you have a fantastic week too! 

Sister Whitney

 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren said that we need to continue sending her mail to the mission office in Piracicaba. Her birthday is March 16 so in order for her to receive anything on her birthday, try to mail it before the 16th of February.

    ReplyDelete