Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tough week in Piracicaba.


December 16, 2013
 
Ok, so this week was a little tough. 

We found this awesome lady at the bus stop a couple days back and we started to teach her. Our fist lesson went really well. We taught her about the restoration and the book of Mormon. She was super open and accepted everything we told her. We asked her to pray about the book of Mormon and the church. We also extended a baptismal date for the 28th. She totally accepted! That was awesome.

I was really excited to go back and teach her the next day, and our lesson started off really well. Her husband died a few years back and she´s been pretty sad about that. So, we taught a little bit about the plan of salvation. Eventually we asked her about the book of Mormon and if she had received an answer. She told us that she knew that the book of Mormon was true! I was so happy! We asked her if she was excited for baptism. This is where our week got hard. She said that she knew the BOM was true, but she didn´t want to be baptized. I couldn´t believe it. Here this woman had a testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, but she didn´t want to be baptized. Basically, she knew that the Church is true, but didn´t want any part of it. She gave us back her book of Mormon and asked us to never come back. I honestly don´t know what happened. 

Well, I was struggling with this idea, that someone could reject the gospel after knowing it was true. I was kind of having a struggle with my faith. I´ve always had this idea that once someone gains a testimony of the Book of Mormon that they´ll want to be baptized. I really couldn´t see how this had happened. I had done everything right, we taught the lesson with the spirit, she gained a testimony, but she didn´t want any part of the church. 

But, during personal scripture study I came across a scripture that really helped me. It´s in Mosiah 23:21 and it talks about the Lord trying the patience and faith of his people. Here, these people were doing everything that they were supposed to, living righteous lives, but they still had burdens and struggles. This scripture helped me realize that even when we do the right things, when we live righteous lives, we´re still going to have struggles and hard times. We just need to have patience and faith that the Lord knows what we need. 

I´m still really sad for that lady, but I know that I did everything that I could. And from this experience, I think that my faith is stronger. Sometimes it really sucks having to grow and learn more. Trials are the worst, but once we´re on the other side of them, I think that they make more sense. They still suck though, haha. 

The rest of my week was pretty great. We had a ward Christmas party that was pretty fun. I got to play the violin too. Not my favorite instrument, but it was neat to play Brasilian Christmas music. One song was by this guy named Roberto Carlos. I liked it. Foi legal:)

Also, we had a bunch of investigators at church. That always makes me super happy, because the Chapel is a great place to feel the Spirit. Church is the best.

Well, I hope that you all have a fantastic week! I know that I will:)

Eu amo voces!

Sister Whitney
 
We found this snake walking home one night. I´m pretty sure that it wasn´t dangerous. The Elder in the picture is Elder Castro. He is one of our Zone Leaders.
(Isn't she so pretty! Looks like it pretty humid even later in the evening and she is so skinny! Must be all the hills she's been hiking! Sweet hipster glasses Elder!)

One of the ways I am learning Portuguese. The yellow ones are verbs and the blue are words I don´t know. It´s actually super helpful. (I'm glad its helpful to her because it's Greek to me! hahaha)
 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sweet Sister Lauren... I'm sorry you've had a tough week, but remember how valuable our free agency is. A war in heaven was fought over it. And sometimes it sucks. I'm sure my parents wanted to more than shake me a few times. I know I'd like to have done the same to my kids. You never know what seeds you've planted. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete